from … The Morning Scoop – Downtown Council of KCMO, April 8, 2020
CIDs raise the bar on public cleanliness services
The Community Improvement Districts have joined forces with the City of Kansas City, KC Parks, Public Works and the KC Streetcar to place 20 portable toilets and handwashing stations in public locations throughout Downtown.
Sean O’Byrne, executive director of the CIDs, explained these public health stations have taken on significant importance, since the COVID-19 Stay-At-Home order temporarily closed public buildings that had previously provided restroom access for homeless and transient populations.
“It’s the right thing to do,” O’Byrne said. “It creates a clean and safe environment and provides a dignified option to those in need, during these difficult times.”
The Downtown and River Market CIDs will be financially responsible for seven portable toilets in the Central Business District and River Market.
“We will distribute a flier to the area’s homeless population, letting them know where toilets are available,” O’Byrne said.
The stations will be open 24/7, and available through May. Downtown locations include:
Public Toilet / Handwashing Stations
- 3rd & Grand – KCATA parking lot
- 5th & Main – west of City lot
- Oppenstein Park – 12th & Walnut
- 12th & I-35 – by parking lot
- Washington Park – Main St.
- Washington Park – Grand Blvd.
- 10th & Main – Metropolex
- Library District – 9th & Baltimore
- 8th & Charlotte – east of viaduct
- 11th & Charlotte – northeast corner
- Ilus Davis Mall – 9th & Oak
- Ilus Davis Mall – 11th & Locust
- Case Park – 8th & Jefferson
- Case Park – 10th & Kirk Drive
- 6th & Broadway – southeast corner
- 17th & Main – northwest corner
- 20th & Grand – northeast corner
- 29th & Wyandotte – northwest corner
- 18th & Oak – southwest corner
- Oak & 14th St. – northeast corner
Shows will go on – virtually
Two Downtown performing arts venues and a wine market will deliver live experiences that you can enjoy from the comfort of home over the next several days.
Shelter-In-Place wines: there’s a virtual class for that
Contact the Cellar Rat firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your class kit.
Downtown COVID-19 resource center is a click away
The resulting Downtown COVID-19 Resource Center is available to you online. It is your key to unlocking a curated list of helpful resources.