The Downtown Council announced plans today for a fall summit meeting on the hottest element of Downtown’s escalating revitalization, the commercial office marketplace.
The second annual Downtown Office Summit is set for 2-5 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 17 at BNIM’s Crown Center office at 2460 E. Pershing Road, #100. It will feature a number of expert panelists and speakers, along with a powerhouse pair of bookend leaders to open and close the event.
The Hon. Sylvester James, Mayor of the City of Kansas City, Missouri, will serve as the keynote speaker and City Manager Troy Schulte will deliver closing remarks and a call to action. The Office Summit is expected to attract community and civic leaders, real estate developers, building owners and future Downtown office tenants.
“Downtown’s renaissance has entered the critical third wave of revitalization,” said Nate Orr, chairman of the Downtown Council Board of Directors and Partner at Spencer Fane LLP. “After revitalizing the residential sector and making major investments in visitor amenities, the rebirth of the office market is paramount to sustaining the momentum.
“This third wave is an economic game-changer that will elevate momentum at creating jobs, attracting talent, unlocking value and engaging private investment in Downtown.”
The Office Summit is designed to provide a better understanding of the Downtown Office Market today and to chart a course to greater success tomorrow, according to Gib Kerr, co-chair of the event and Director of Capital Markets in Kansas and Missouri for Cushman & Wakefield.
“Downtown Kansas City is one of the fastest growing downtowns in America,” Kerr said. “And, that means we are in the thick of competing for businesses – and the talent to elevate those companies – with large and small cities all across the country.”
The Downtown Office Summit will feature three components at BNIM on Oct. 17:
- 2 p.m. – Office Summit Expo – a networking opportunity to learn more about the commercial office marketplace and the people who represent Downtown properties, opportunities and trends.
- 3 p.m. – Office Summit Program – a series of speakers and panel discussions that illustrate the challenges and opportunities facing Downtown Kansas City in light of the rapid growth of commercial businesses marketplace, along with residents and visitors in Downtown. Kevin Collison, editor of CityScene KC, will serve as the event moderator. Highlights include…
- Keynote address by Mayor Sly James
- Market overview by Summit co-chairs Michael Klamm, Managing Director of CBRE and Gib Kerr of Cushman & Wakefield
- Development panel featuring experts from Platform Ventures, 3D Development, Crown Center, Lathrop Gage, AREA Real Estate Advisors and EPOCH.
- Tenant panel with leaders to share insights about the Downtown marketplace from Benton Lloyd & Chung, Centric, ACI Boland, BNIM, Big Brothers Big Sisters and Park University.
- Summary & closing remarks by Troy Schulte, City Manager
- 5:30 p.m. – Cocktail reception and networking to follow.
Tickets are now available from the Downtown Council via Eventbrite. The inaugural Office Summit last year sold out quickly, so you are encouraged to act soon.
The Downtown Office Summit is produced by the Downtown Council of Kansas City in partnership with the City of Kansas City, Missouri and the Economic Development Corporation. The summit is presented by Bank of America, BNIM, Crown Center and Lathrop Gage LLP.
For questions or more information, contact Julie Shippy at the Downtown Council, firstname.lastname@example.org or 816-421-1539.