Downtown Kansas City will celebrate 816Day – a “holiday” inspired by Kansas City’s area code to celebrate civic pride and everything that’s great about KC next Thursday, Aug. 16. Yep, 8/16 is 816Day.
“The goal for 816Day is to connect people with our local businesses, service industries and artistic & cultural organizations,” said Jared Campbell, president of the Downtown Neighborhood Association and a leading organizer of the event.
Locals and visitors are invited to celebrate and appreciate the best of what local businesses and organizations have to offer during 816Day branded events – oftentimes, happy hours or food/drinks specials on Aug. 16. Early examples of participating organizations include:
- KC Streetcar will participate in several 816Day events next Thursday, including a local sketch artist drawing portraits of riders – along with the streetcar and Downtown scenes – from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- John’s Big Deck, 928 Wyandotte, will be a featured 816Day party location from 5-11 p.m. with a DJ, food and drink specials, and local goodies and giveaways, including concert tickets.
- The City Market will feature a free ’90s themed 816 Day concert featuring ThunderJacket from 5:30-730 p.m., along with an 816Day party at Brown & Loe, featuring beer, wine, water and a signature 816 Day cocktail specials.
City Market businesses are also being asked to set up a presence during the concert to help promote themselves and Kansas City.
Campbell also issued an invitation for Downtown restaurants, bars, coffee shops, retailers and destinations to participate in 816Day by providing KC-themed specials on local goods and services, live music, great food, nightlife and entertainment:
What?: How your business can take part in 816DAY?
- Restaurants, Bars & Entertainment Venues
- Create an event or party at your business.
- Already have an event scheduled? Great! Brand it as part of 816Day.
- Live music, DJ,/ Karaoke / Bar Games: Cornhole, Large Jenga / Trivia / Contests & Giveaway
- Offer unique food & beverage specials.
- Already have a food and drink special planned for that day? Perfect! Brand it as part of 816Day.
- Reduced Admission or Free Event
- Feature locally made or produced products? KC themed food special
- Create KC themed cocktails
- Retail & Other Service Industry Businesses
- Offer specials/sales on goods and services
- Already have a sale on goods and services planned for that day? Super! Brand it in part of 816Day
- Feature KC apparel
- Feature KC made products
- Decorate your business with a KC/816 theme
For questions or more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
816Day is presented in cooperation by the DNA , Do816.com, the Downtown Council of Kansas City, the Crossroads Community Association, KC Streetcar, John’s Big Deck, the City Market, and the KC Power & Light District.