Here’s the highlight reel for a relatively quiet New Year’s week ahead in Downtown KC – Monday to Sunday, New Year’s Day to Jan. 7:
First Friday – one of the KC’s hottest events of the winter – returns on Friday with a gaggle of arts and cultural experiences throughout the Crossroads Arts District and the 18th & Vine Jazz District from 5-9 p.m. Friday; and one of the country’s most complete vintage marketplaces – First Friday Warehouse Weekends – in the West Bottoms on Friday through Sunday.
Jurassic Quest brings you a Dinosaur Adventure for the whole family. The main dinosaur exhibit features ultra-realistic, life-size animatronic dinosaurs; more than 80 life-size dinosaurs in all. Visitors can interact with these huge creatures, learn about them and even ride a few this Friday through Sunday at Hale Arena.
Knuckleheads Saloon features nine shows this week on this “light” New Year’s week schedule, including Here Come the Mummies at 8:30 p.m. Friday and an Allman Brothers Tribute Show with Mark & The Sharks Kaopectones at 8 p.m. Saturday.
Markiplier’s Your Welcome Tour – Expect hilarity, absurdity, fan-favorite sketches, and the ultimate night out, when You Tube sensation Markiplier brings his first tour to KC, beginning at 8 p.m. Thursday at the Midland.
Night of Hope featuring Joel and Victoria Osteen, pastors of Lakewood Church in Houston – the largest church in America – are coming to KC to deliver a message of hope beginning at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Sprint Center.Legendary Norman Rockwell, left, shares his artwork with Hallmark Cards founder Joyce Hall.
Norman Rockwell’s Christmas – Hallmark Cards showcases paintings and drawings for the artist’s popular Christmas cards. Seen here together for the first time, this exhibition of works from the Hallmark Art Collection provides a rare opportunity to view the meticulous craftsmanship that set Rockwell apart from his peers. This free exhibit continues through Jan. 27 at the Hallmark Visitors Center.
UMKC Roos return to Downtown this season for men’s basketball home games. This week’s schedule features a showdown with the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley at 7 p.m. Saturday at Municipal Auditorium.
ARTS – your guide to arts and culture in greater Kansas City:
- ArtsKCGo is the new, online guide to arts and cultural events in greater Kansas City – including First Fridays, Art in the Loop, Charlotte Street and all other Downtown-centric events. ArtsKCGo.com is a service of ArtsKC, the Regional Arts Council of Kansas City. Check it out!
LIVE MUSIC – of all tastes and flavors – is performed at these Downtown venues on most nights:
- Angel’s Rock Bar in the Power & Light District
- The Black Dolphin in the Crossroads
- Blue Room in the Historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- Brewery Emperial in the Crossroads Arts District
- The Brick in the Crossroads Arts District
- The Dubliner in the Power & Light District
- Gem Theater in the Historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- Green Lady Lounge in the Crossroads
- Howl at the Moon in the Power & Light District
- KC Live Block! in the Power & Light District
- Kill Devil Club in the Power & Light District
- Knuckleheads Saloon in the East Bottoms
- Leinenkugel’s Kansas City in the Power & Light District
- The Majestic in the Downtown Loop
- The Midland in the Downtown Loop
- Mosaic Ultra Lounge in the Power & Light District
- Mutual Musicians Foundation in the 18th & Vine Jazz District
- The Phoenix in the Downtown Loop
- PBR Big Sky in the Power & Light District
- Prohibition Hall in the Downtown Loop
- Record Bar in the Crossroads
- The Ship in the West Bottoms
- Stockyards Brewing Company in the West Bottoms
- The Truman in the East Crossroads – Coming soon!
MUSEUMS are alive and well throughout Downtown, including these 16 destinations:
- Airline History Museum in Hangar 9 at the Downtown Airport
- American Jazz Museum in the historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- American Royal Museum in the West Bottoms
- Arabia Steamboat Museum in the City Market
- Black Archives of Mid-America in the historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- Hallmark Visitors Center at Crown Center
- Historic Garment District Museum in the Downtown Loop at 801 Broadway
- Kansas City Museum in northeast KC at 3218 Gladstone Blvd.
- Money Museum at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City
- National Archives of Kansas City, west of Union Station
- National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame at the Sprint Center
- The National WWI Museum and Memorial at Liberty Memorial
- Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in the historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- Science City at Union Station
- TWA Museum at the Downtown Airport
- Union Station Gallery at Union Station
For more of what’s happening in Downtown and Kansas City, check out our friends at VisitKC.com