The long-awaited grand opening of the Kauffman Center for the Performance Arts is nearly here. The free public open house is set for 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday. It will be supported by a series of Experience Downtown! events in the neighboring Crossroads, Power & Light District and Westside neighborhoods. Here is a quick rundown of the day’s highlights:
- Free public open house of the Kauffman Center: 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday. For a rundown of the day’s activities, click here.
- Doors open at 11 a.m. Performances by more than 50 performing groups will run from noon to 5 p.m. on two indoor and four outdoor stages. For a schedule of performers, visit www.kauffmancenter.org
- Free parking at the Kauffman Center (limit 1,000 vehicles)
- Free shuttles to take you to the Kauffman Center from offsite parking. Parking will cost extra. For an event parking map, click here.
- Shuttles will run from 10:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday from the Crossroads, Power & Light District and the Downtown Marriott. Shuttle stops appear on the parking map.
- The MAX bus will run every 15 minutes to the Kauffman Center from 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Cost is $1.50 each way. Visit www.kcata.org for the MAX route stops.
- Food and beverage will be available for sale on site from urban food trucks east of the Kauffman Center at 16th & Wyandotte.
- Before or after your Sunday visit to the Kauffman Center, take time to explore the neighborhoods closest to the Kauffman Center. Downtown area neighbors and businesses are rolling out the red carpet to welcome the Kauffman Center and its many followers.
- Free shuttles and short walks are the best ways to visit the Crossroads, Power & Light District, Westside and the Convention Center. For a walking/shuttle map, click here.
- The Crossroads Arts District will throwing a free First Friday arts experience on Sunday, complete with galleries, performers, chalk art, dining and shopping. Check the walking/shuttle map to guide your visit – just a few blocks south of the Kauffman Center.
- The Power & Light District is jazzing up Downtown with the free 14th Street Jazz Festival from 2-9 p.m. Sunday.
- More than 150 Downtown restaurants, shops, galleries and attractions will be open on Sunday to delight the Kauffman Center visits; many will be offering specials. For a list of businesses, click here.
- Downtown living will be featured on Sunday with a Residential Open House of condos, lofts and homes. For a list of residential properties that will be open on Sunday, click here.
Make plans to be there on Sunday. This is a milestone moment in the history of Kansas City. Don’t miss it!