Nominees & Criteria
The nominee should be someone who has improved the quality of life Downtown or Urban Core by enhancing the physical, social, business, retail, manufacturing, office, neighborhood, political, or work environment.
Nominees should be:
- Passionate about making Downtown more vibrant
- A small business or individual
- An “un-sung” hero
- Grassroots oriented
A selection panel consisting of representatives from the Downtown Council, partner organizations, such as the Crossroads Community Association, River Market Business Association, an elected official and another at-large member will select the honorees. Past Urban Hero Award Recipients
Please email Julie Shippy firstname.lastname@example.org to submit a nomination for the 2014 Urban Hero Award. Nominations are due by September 1, 2014.
2013 Urban Heroes
- Vladimir Krstic, director and chief executive officer, Kansas City Design Center
- Alex and Courtney Perry, owners, Arts Asylum
- Luke Wade, founder KC Crew – Adult Recreational Sports League
- 20th Street Team: Charlie Barnard, Dan Clothier, Jim Miller and Tom Nelson.
2012 Urban Heroes
2011 Urban Heroes