Nominees & Criteria
The nominee should be someone who has improved the quality of life Downtown or Urban Core by enhancing the physical, social, business, retail, manufacturing, office, neighborhood, political, or work environment.
Nominees should be:
- Passionate about making Downtown more vibrant
- A small business or individual
- An “un-sung” hero
- Grassroots oriented
A selection panel consisting of representatives from the Downtown Council, partner organizations, such as the Crossroads Community Association, River Market Business Association, an elected official and another at-large member will select the honorees.
Please email Julie Shippy email@example.com to submit the next 2013 Urban Hero and J. Philip Kirk Jr. nominee. Nominations are due by September 5.
2012 Urban Hero Honorees:
- Deb Connors, market master, City Market
- Evie Craig, executive director, reStart, Inc.
- David Johnson, co-founder, Streetcar Neighbors
- Jeff Owens, creative entrepreneur
- Chester Thompson, president/CEO, Black Economic Union of Greater Kansas City
This video honoring the Urban Hero Award recipients was shared at the Downtown Council’s 2012 Annual Luncheon:
2011 Urban Heroes