The Big 12 men’s basketball tournament makes its highly-anticipated return to Downtown Kansas City today through Saturday – and Downtown is ready.
This is the 17th year in the conference’s 22-season history that Kansas City has hosted the Championship and the 10th time for Sprint Center as the host venue. The league’s 10 teams will compete in a single-elimination, nine-game format, while the Championship winner on Saturday will receive an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. Kansas City has been selected as the host city through 2020.
With thousands of fans descending upon Kansas City for the opening games today, several Downtown streets have been closed to accommodate this pilgrimage to the Sprint Center and the Power & Light District.
In order to best navigate Downtown this week and weekend, drivers and visitors are encouraged to plan ahead;
- Visitors – Ride the free KC Streetcar – seven days a week along Main Street from Union Station to the River Market; and
- Drivers – Because of the street closures and the March Madness traffic, City officials are urging drivers to allow extra time and to plan their parking strategies.The following streets are closed today through 6 a.m. Sunday:
- Grand Boulevard, between 13th Street and ruman Road
- 14th Street, between Walnut Street and Grand Blvd.
- Truman Road, between Oak Street and Walnut, including the Grand Boulevard bridge
- 14th Street, between Main Street and Walnut. It will reopen by midnight Sunday.
- Walnut Street, between 13th and Truman. It reopen by midnight Sunday.
In addition to closures for the tournament, the following streets will be closed at 10 a.m. Saturday for Kansas City’s Big 12 Run:
- Grand Boulevard, between 8th and 12th streets and between Truman and Gillham roads
- 8th Street, between Grand and Holmes Street
- Holmes Street, between 8th and 18th streets and between 30th and 31st streets
- Truman Road, between Holmes and Woodland Avenue and Grand and Oak Street
- Woodland Avenue, between Truman and 18th Street
- 18th Street, between Woodland and Highland Avenue and between Holmes and Grand.
- Highland Street, between 18th Street and 17th Terrace
- 17th Terrace, between Highland and The Paseo
- The Paseo, between 17th Terrace and 31st Street
- 31st Street, between The Paseo and Holmes
- 30th Street, between Holmes and McGee Street
- McGee Street, between Holmes and Gillham
- Gillham Road, between McGee and Grand
- Oak Street, between Truman and 9th Street
- 9th Street, between Oak and Grand.
Welcome to Downtown Kansas City. We are thrilled to have you here!