KC Restaurant Week tops a tasty stretch of arts and entertainment in Downtown KC over the week ahead – Monday to Sunday, Jan. 8-14:
Folly Theater features two remarkable performances this weekend, including:
- Ying String Quartet with pianist Alon Goldstein and bassist Rachel Calin at 7:30 p.m. Friday. The Ying Quartet occupies a position of unique prominence in the classical music world, combining brilliantly communicative performances with a fearlessly imaginative view of chamber music in today’s world.
- American Spiritual Ensemble – Spirituals have always been a balm for the soul, and the American Spiritu
- al Ensemble is a foremost interpreter of the genre. Founded in 1995, the group is dedicated to preserving the legacy of the Negro Spiritual, but they also venture into classical music, jazz, and Broadway. This inspired performance, presented by the Harriman-Jewell Series, is set for 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
KC Restaurant Week makes its mouth-watering return to Downtown and the entire KC area for 10 glorious days, beginning with lunch on Friday (Jan. 12) and continuing through dinner on Sunday, Jan. 21. To dine out during restaurant week, connect to the restaurant list and search function to find your favorites (do a quick search by restaurant name, menu type, cuisine and/or location), and then click on the OpenTable links to make your online restaurant reservations in advance. After that, just show up during Restaurant Week and enjoy your specially-priced ($15 or $33) multi-course meal! To learn more, visit KCRestaurantWeek.com.
KC Tornado’s – the newest professional sports franchise in Kansas City via the North American Premier Basketball League – will be in action this week at 7 p.m. Wednesday vs. the Albany Patroons at Municipal Arena.
Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts will feature four highly anticipated performances this week, including:
- National Geographic Live – Dive deep into the world’s oceans with one of National Geographic’s most seasoned photographers. Watch as Brian Skerry’s images illuminate the vast, hidden world beneath the waves. The 2018 program series returns at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Muriel Kauffman Theatre.
- Kansas City Symphony marks the first 2018 performance of its Classical Series as Geller and Grossman play Mozart, plus Sibelius’ Fifth at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday in Helzberg Hall.
Lana Del Rey arrive in Downtown this week, as she takes her new album, Lust For Life – which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 – on the road for a highly-anticipated 24-date tour. She will be accompanied in KC by special guest Jhene Aiko, when her LA TO THE MOON lands at 8 p.m. Tuesday at Sprint Center.
Mid-America RV Show is the largest consumer show dedicated to the RVing lifestyle – including travel and outdoor fun – in the Midwest. Featuring more than 150 makes and models spread of RVs spread throughout the Kansas City Convention Center, the show will run from Thursday through Sunday at Bartle Hall.
Monster Jam returns to the Big Town this week with its new Triple Threat Series season. Monster Jam promises to bring motorsport fans to the edge of their seats with adrenaline-charged, high-flying, four-wheel excitement that is fun for the entire family with each competitor using customized: Monster Jam Speedsters, Monster Jam ATVs and the famous Monster Jam trucks. Monster Jam will rock Downtown with four shows on Friday through Sunday at Sprint Center.
Nitro Arenacross Tour – Experience two high flying nights of motorized adrenaline pumping Arenacross action beginning at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Hale Arena. And, don’t miss the Nitro AX Tour Pros, as they battle it out for more than $70,000 in this season’s purse, including motorcycle racing, ATV racing and a FMX pro jump off..
Norman Rockwell’s Christmas – Hallmark Cards showcases paintings and drawings for the artist’s popular Christmas cards. Seen here together for the first time, this exhibition of works from the Hallmark Art Collection provides a rare opportunity to view the meticulous craftsmanship that set Rockwell apart from his peers. This free exhibit continues through Saturday, Jan. 27 at the Hallmark Visitors Center.
ARTS – your guide to arts and culture in greater Kansas City:
- ArtsKCGo is the new, online guide to arts and cultural events in greater Kansas City – including First Fridays, Art in the Loop, Charlotte Street and all other Downtown-centric events. ArtsKCGo.com is a service of ArtsKC, the Regional Arts Council of Kansas City. Check it out!
LIVE MUSIC – of all tastes and flavors – is performed at these Downtown venues on most nights:
- Angel’s Rock Bar in the Power & Light District
- The Black Dolphin in the Crossroads
- Blue Room in the Historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- Brewery Emperial in the Crossroads Arts District
- The Brick in the Crossroads Arts District
- The Dubliner in the Power & Light District
- Gem Theater in the Historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- Green Lady Lounge in the Crossroads
- Howl at the Moon in the Power & Light District
- KC Live Block! in the Power & Light District
- Kill Devil Club in the Power & Light District
- Knuckleheads Saloon in the East Bottoms
- Leinenkugel’s Kansas City in the Power & Light District
- The Majestic in the Downtown Loop
- The Midland in the Downtown Loop
- Mosaic Ultra Lounge in the Power & Light District
- Mutual Musicians Foundation in the 18th & Vine Jazz District
- The Phoenix in the Downtown Loop
- PBR Big Sky in the Power & Light District
- Prohibition Hall in the Downtown Loop
- Record Bar in the Crossroads
- The Ship in the West Bottoms
- Stockyards Brewing Company in the West Bottoms
- The Truman in the East Crossroads – Coming soon!
MUSEUMS are alive and well throughout Downtown, including these 16 destinations:
- Airline History Museum in Hangar 9 at the Downtown Airport
- American Jazz Museum in the historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- American Royal Museum in the West Bottoms
- Arabia Steamboat Museum in the City Market
- Black Archives of Mid-America in the historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- Hallmark Visitors Center at Crown Center
- Historic Garment District Museum in the Downtown Loop at 801 Broadway
- Kansas City Museum in northeast KC at 3218 Gladstone Blvd.
- Money Museum at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City
- National Archives of Kansas City, west of Union Station
- National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame at the Sprint Center
- The National WWI Museum and Memorial at Liberty Memorial
- Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in the historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- Science City at Union Station
- TWA Museum at the Downtown Airport
- Union Station Gallery at Union Station
For more of what’s happening in Downtown and Kansas City, check out our friends at VisitKC.com