Here is the highlight reel of what’s happening in Downtown KC from Monday to Sunday, July 31-Aug. 6:
Branford Marsalis Quartet, featuring guest vocalist Kurt Elling, will light up Downtown in a special performance at 7 p.m. Monday in the Muriel Kauffman Theatre at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts.
First Friday – one of the KC’s coolest/hottest events of the summer – returns for its August shindig with visual and performing arts bursting throughout Downtown with:
- The full First Friday experiences at the Crossroads Arts District and the 18th & Vine Jazz District from 5-9 p.m.
- Arts Starts at the Library – The Central Library makes a place on First Friday for the entire family, beginning at 5:30 p.m. with gallery exhibits, a special dance performance, kids’ activities and munchies. RSVP now.
- One of the country’s most complete vintage marketplaces – First Friday Warehouse Weekends – returns to the West Bottoms on Friday through Sunday.
Folly Theater will feature two up-close and personal evenings of entertainment this week with:
- War on the Catwalk starring some of the contestants from Season 9 of RuPaul’s Drag Race on VH-1, performing live on stage and rocking the catwalk. It’s an evening of outstanding drag performances with your favorite queens. The show begins at 8 p.m. Monday. All ages are welcome.
- Girls Night In – A #thx2att & Full Screen Live presentation features an all-star lineup including Meg DeAngelis, Lauren Giraldo, Caeli Santo, and Gavin Turek! The 24-city tour brings together fans from across the U.S. for an evening of dance, musical performances, and an opportunity to meet their favorite stars. The show begins at 7 p.m. Friday.
Midland Theater will feature an eclectic, wild and crazy week with three stellar shows on back-to-back nights, including:
- Dancing with the Stars: Live – The hottest dance show on television returns to KC for a live performance, featuring the Season 24 winner and NFL running back Rashad Jennings, at 8 p.m. Wednesday.
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 Live – For the first time ever, join Joel Hodgson, creator of the critically acclaimed “Mystery Science Theater 3000” TV show and its new host Jonah Heston (Jonah Ray) as they bring the first live touring production of “MST3K” to KC for the “Watch Out for Snakes!” tour at 8 p.m. Thursday.
- Seasons Summer Edition: RL Grime – This live show has been celebrated as “an unparalleled force” and has graced the biggest festival stages across the world (Coachella – LA, Lollapalooza – Buenos Aires, STORM – Shanghai etc). This single stage music festival, featuring What So Not, Graves and Longer Days, will elevate KC beginning at 8 p.m. Friday.
Mummies of the World: The Exhibition – described as “fascinating, intriguing, and inspiring,” by NBC, “absolutely extraordinary,” by NPR and “a must see,” by FOX TV – instills a sense of curiosity and wonder in each and every visitor. For tickets and more information, visit UnionStation.org/Mummies.
The Naughty Pines, the five-piece classic country, western swing, and honky tonk band comprised of veteran Kansas City musicians, will perform from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday aboard the KC Streetcar, as part of the Art on the Line series presented by Art in the Loop.
Power & Light District will be smokin’ this week with two smash concerts in the Live Block, including:
- Corey Smith will be rocking the big town with a free concert – part of the summer Hot Country Nights series – at 7 p.m. Thursday at Kansas City Live! All ages and families are welcome. Anyone under 21 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. 21+ and over after 9 p.m.
- KC Spinfest featuring ESKEI83 and KC’s best DJs Mike Scott, Spinstyles, Ashton Martin, Highnoone, DJ Allen Michaels, DJ Lazer, Domensha, Danny Maloney and more. Party starts at 5 p.m. Saturday and first set begins at 6 p.m. Ages 21+ only in the Live Block!
Weekender – Cap off your week with top local bands, like the M80s this week, and favorite food trucks. Shop the wares of KC artisans and finish the evening with a favorite flick, like Back to the Future, under the stars. Festivities begin at 6 p.m., with the movie starting at approximately 9 p.m. FREE admission. Only at Crown Center.
LIVE THEATER is thriving on Downtown stages, which feature one show this week:
- Fool’s Gold – A rousing concert of Honky Tonk music from Nashville to Bakersfield featuring some of the top talents in traditional American music at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the MTC Theater at Crown Center.
- Garfield – The Musical with Cattitude – Everyone’s favorite feline and his friends are on stage this summer to perform a musical for all ages. Garfield continues through Sunday at The Coterie at Crown Center.
- Musical Monday & Tuesday – featuring the infectious pop tunes from The Sounds of Summer in a cabaret-style performance at 7:30 p.m. Monday and Tuesday at the MTC Theater at Crown Center.
ARTS – your guide to arts and culture in greater Kansas City:
- ArtsKCGo is the new, online guide to arts and cultural events in greater Kansas City – including First Fridays, Art in the Loop, Charlotte Street and all other Downtown-centric events. ArtsKCGo.com is a service of ArtsKC, the Regional Arts Council of Kansas City. Check it out!
LIVE MUSIC – of all tastes and flavors – is performed at these Downtown venues on most nights:
- Angel’s Rock Bar in the Power & Light District
- Blue Room in the Historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- Brewery Emperial in the Crossroads Arts District
- The Brick in the Crossroads Arts District
- The Dubliner in the Power & Light District
- Gem Theater in the Historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- Green Lady Lounge in the Crossroads
- Haverty Family Yards at Union Station
- Howl at the Moon in the Power & Light District
- KC Live Block! in the Power & Light District
- Kill Devil Club in the Power & Light District
- Knuckleheads Saloon in the East Bottoms
- Leinenkugel’s Kansas City in the Power & Light District
- The Majestic in the Downtown Loop
- The Midland in the Downtown Loop
- Mosaic Ultra Lounge in the Power & Light District
- Mutual Musicians Foundation in the 18th & Vine Jazz District
- The Phoenix in the Downtown Loop
- PBR Big Sky in the Power & Light District
- Prohibition Hall in the Downtown Loop
- Record Bar in the Crossroads
- The Ship in the West Bottoms
- Stockyards Brewing Company in the West Bottoms
- The Tank Room in the Crossroads
- The Truman in the East Crossroads – Coming soon!
MUSEUMS are alive and well throughout Downtown, including these 16 destinations:
- Airline History Museum in Hangar 9 at the Downtown Airport
- American Jazz Museum in the historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- American Royal Museum in the West Bottoms
- Arabia Steamboat Museum in the City Market
- Black Archives of Mid-America in the historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- Hallmark Visitors Center at Crown Center
- Historic Garment District Museum in the Downtown Loop at 801 Broadway
- Kansas City Museum in northeast KC at 3218 Gladstone Blvd.
- Money Museum at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City
- National Archives of Kansas City, west of Union Station
- National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame at the Sprint Center
- The National WWI Museum and Memorial at Liberty Memorial
- Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in the historic 18th & Vine Jazz District
- Science City at Union Station
- TWA Museum at the Downtown Airport
- Union Station Gallery at Union Station
For more of what’s happening in Downtown and Kansas City, check out our friends at VisitKC.com