Our best advice on navigating traffic and parking is to arrive early, park easily and enjoy a short walk to coffee, lunch or dinner before your appointment or event.
Of course, driving is not your only option in Downtown Kansas City. The Metro bus system, the new Bike Share KC program or good, old-fashioned walking are healthy and relaxing ways to get around our urban centre.
But let’s start with driving. The Downtown Council’s parking map is a good place to start. A new parking and directional map for Downtown Kansas City is available online. (Click here) Downtown is easily accessible from I-70, I-670, I-35 and U.S. 71 highways.
Here are SIX insider tips to ease your journey to Downtown Kansas City:
1. Arrive early and park easily in the parking garage or surface lot closest to your destination.
2. Plan ahead. Be creative when selecting your highway exit. Traffic is often heaviest at the I-35 exit onto Broadway. Consider other options, such as the West Pennway exit.
3. Arrive early and make it a date. The Sprint Center, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts along with all Downtown destinations are surrounded by dozens of outstanding and unique restaurants. For a complete listing of Downtown restaurants, visit www.downtownkc.org.
4. Leave the driving to the ATA. The MAX bus route features several Downtown stops. See www.kcata.org for the MAX route and schedule. Fee: $1.50 each way.
5. Hop a ride on a Bike Share KC bicycle. Twelve stations are available around Downtown for short-term bike rentals. Fee is $2 for the first hour, and $2 for each subsequent half-hour, or a maximum of $7 per day. Go to bikewalkkc.org for more information.
No matter how you navigate through Downtown, you’re are in for a treat. Downtown KC is as unique as you are. Welcome!